What content marketing does for brands
As you have already seen for yourself, this tool is ideal for companies in which the client needs some time to make a decision. Content marketing simultaneously works to attract such an audience through different channels, explain the benefits of a complex product to them, and build brand trust. This is possible due to the following capabilities of the tool:
- Increases the number of touch points with your brand online;
- Allows you to reach a new audience and increase brand awareness;
- Increases brand loyalty and trust, strengthens the status of an expert;
- Attracts additional traffic to the company’s website and improves its quality – visits become more targeted;
- Provides additional link growth and improves behavioral factors;
- Increases sales.
After all these advantages, the key disadvantage of content marketing seems to be the absence of a magic button (and indeed at least any button): you need to set up and run everything from scratch, and before that you also need to work out a strategy in detail.
How to come up with a content marketing promotion strategy
This is not so simple. Without a thorough plan of action, the result can be almost zero and the costs are decent. To prevent this, include as much detailed information as possible in your strategy:
- Target audience segments. It is not only about gender, age and interests, but also about a detailed description of problems and needs that can be closed with the help of your product;
- Positioning. Add information about the real benefits of the product that solve the problems of the target audience – so the content marketing tools will transmit important thoughts about the product to potential buyers;
- Content plan. Based on the analysis of the semantic core of the site, competitors and search results, come up with topics and a schedule for the release of new materials;
- Mediaplan. Calculate in detail a plan for distributing content through different channels where your audience is present.
There shouldn’t be any difficulties with the description of the audience and positioning – you probably already have this information. If suddenly this is not the case, then here is an excellent reason for you to start preparing it – without this data, it will still not be possible to bring a complex product to the market. But you have to tinker with the content plan and media plan. To help you better understand what channels and formats content marketing can work with in complex niches, we will tell you how everything works now.
What qualities should the content have?
Content marketing takes all forms. He can work undercover on forums and review sites, he can creep into trust under the guise of user-generated content, or he can be a more direct but interesting storyteller who spreads stories about your brand that people will share with each other. There are dozens of formats: news, articles, video testimonials, step-by-step master classes on how to do something yourself, product reviews and comparisons, guides, interviews with experts, and stories of your customers or employees. In order to somehow systematize all this, we recommend distributing content formats in accordance with three key objectives of the materials:
- Benefit. Use content to shape your company’s expertise in the eyes of your audience. For these purposes, interviews with specialists, for example, employees of your team, as well as life hacks, checklists and infographics with interesting facts about your niche are perfect;
- Work for your reputation. The purpose of such content is to increase the loyalty of the target audience and inspire their trust. Interesting cases, facts about your work, stories of employees on abstract topics and any other “internal kitchen” that can give a “face” to the brand are well suited for these tasks;
- Engage your audience. To retain visitors for longer, implement interactive mechanics. It can be all kinds of tests, quizzes, contests, webinars and online broadcasts.
A wide variety of content formats can be combined with each other. In order not to use them in different ways, we recommend creating separate headings for them and determining the frequency of publication of materials. It is desirable that useful articles appear more often than reputational materials. Otherwise, the audience may perceive such attempts to establish contact only as obsession, and this is the last thing you need in promoting a complex product.
Where to publish content
There are many options. In addition to the site, you can use social networks, email newsletters, posts in thematic blogs and specialized Internet portals. We recommend using several channels at once to increase coverage and attract traffic from different sites.
Brand media. Creating your own media is one of the main trends in promotion in complex niches. In some cases, they gather an audience comparable to full-fledged media, not affiliated with any business in any way. Just take a look at Mango Daily, which provides helpful tips and simple language on how insurance works.